Monday, February 28

Cabin Fever

Yesterday when Kristi and I stopped by Dad's cabin for a bit, being inside did bring back a lot of memories, including some I have probably been trying to avoid.  Some of my strongest memories are our first visit there for our family reunion in 2003.  It's funny to think about how many of our children had not yet been born at that point, and also still how crowded and hectic it was with all of us trying to fit in that cabin with few bedrooms and only 2 bathrooms.  That is also the only family reunion that we ever had with Mom.  

I remember that I wasn't in a very great mental state at that time.  Mom's cancer being so serious had really thrown off my whole perceptions and expectations for life.  Looking back, I realize that up until that time in my life, my faith was in a form of a prosperity gospel in that I truly believed that if we followed the commandments and lived righteously, that God would bless us and prevent anything really terrible from happing to us as a blessing for our faithfulness.  But Mom's diagnosis and illness shattered my understanding of reality in that respect because I felt sure that Heavenly Father would have either blessed her to not develop cancer or inspired her to go to the doctor much sooner before it became so serious.  When I saw that that had not happened, it really threw me off - I didn't feel I could trust in God anymore to protect my own health and for a while I became nearly completely crippled psychologically with hypochondria as I overreacted to the new responsibility I suddenly felt to look out more for my own health.  I became completely stuck, which I now know was due to my obsessive compulsive disorder, but at the time I did not realize that every attempt I made to prove to myself that I was not getting some sort of serious illness was only feeding my OCD and making things worse instead of better.  With the treatment I've had now, I can look back and tell myself that I should have just accepted and embraced the uncertainty of life rather that attempt to constantly find ways to reassure myself, but at the time I did not know that this was a typical OCD cycle, and the only way I was able to escape it and start trying to feel normal again was to get on the anti-depressant Luvox, which caused me to just care less about everything and enabled me to stop the bad cycle I was stuck in.  It was very helpful and I learned a lot from being on that drug.  I was taking it at the time of the family reunion, though I eventually stopped a while later because I started to feel like I could handle things better and I didn't like caring about everything less.

I remember at that reunion we had a testimony meeting where Mom expressed her faith that she would be healed from her cancer.  I also remember that I never had that faith because it seemed to me that if God had wanted her to live, He would have just prevented her from getting sick or made sure that her cancer was found sooner or even before it became cancerous.  This was the start of a struggle that lasted many years for me because I could not really bring myself to believe in a God that would promise Mom that she would live to an old age in her patriarchal blessing but then allow her to get so sick.  Of course I felt guilty for not having faith that God would still heal her and also guilty for not being able to accept and have faith in a God that would let her die so young.  For many years after Mom passed away, I continued to fervently seek for an answer from God about why He would allow that to happen and also continued to beat myself up for not being able to accept and have full faith and trust in that God anymore.  When I was in Dad's cabin this weekend in the main room, looking toward the front of the cabin, seeing that room brought back the memories of that testimony meeting and along with those, the memories of the years of this mental struggle, and in some ways, it felt overwhelming.

Losing someone you love is always hard, but looking back, the difficulty increased because instead of just focusing on and working through natural grieving,  I was stuck on questions of why a loving God would allow this to happen and struggling with guilt because of those questions.  Thinking about how much I loved and felt loved by Mom and how much I miss her feels both sad and beautiful at the same time, difficult but also healing.  On the other had, wondering if I can trust God and wondering if I'm a bad person because of those questions just feels like needless mental torture, and I feel like I still have traumatic feelings when I remember feeling so stuck on those questions.  While this was not the first time in my life that my belief system had increased the pain and difficulty of  normal life experiences, it was one of the most intense, and it brings up some big questions.

Some of these questions are "What is the utility of trusting in God if the outcome seems arbitrary?", "What distinguishes God's plans from random events?", and "Are many religious beliefs and practices motivated by our desires to somehow control or at least understand things which there is no way to actually control or understand?"  I have learned through my struggles with OCD that often the only actually useful answer to many common questions and difficulties is to simply accept uncertainty.  For example, trusting in God to prevent any of the people you love the most from dying young or being otherwise seriously damaged possibly just sets a person up for bitterness and anguish that will only server to block real healing when God's plan differs from those expectations.  What would be the downside of simply accepting the uncertainty that anyone we know can die or get seriously ill or hurt at anytime and then just working through the natural grief that we experience when such terrible things happen to us?  How does praying to God actually help at all it his will and plans are arbitrary at least relative to our best understanding?  Here is another relevant example:  given that real statistics show that health outcomes for people who receive priesthood blessing do not differ in any measurable way from those who do not receive priesthood blessings, is receiving a priesthood blessing that promises healing more helpful or harmful to a person and their loved ones?  Would it not be better to simply recognize that we are all hoping for the best but must also be willing to accept undesirable outcomes over which we have no control, rather than attempting to bring in the idea that somehow our faith in or obedience to God will have an effect on what happens?

These ideas also remind me of the circular argument Brother Brad Wilcox recently made in his now infamous youth fireside on February 6 (2022), in which he argued strongly that one would not want to walk away from the church and lose the constant gift of the Holy Ghost, and then seemingly in complete antithesis also argued strongly that it is a very good thing that we do not constantly feel the Holy Ghost as worthy church members.  If you just step back and consider this, doesn't it seem like the concept of the "gift of the Holy Ghost" has no real meaning in any practical way? 

But to me, the really dangerous thing about believing in an interventionist God who will bless you for obedience or a Holy Ghost that will guide you based on worthiness is not that these beliefs appear to be useless in the face of life's actual experiences, but rather that these beliefs are very often used by yourself and others to bring you real pain, shame, and guilt, often for things you cannot control or should reasonably expect yourself to have control over.  Unlike the blessings from God that we often use confirmation bias to recognize when they occur and mental gymnastics to explain away when they don't, this pain is real and and hurtful and serves no good purpose.  Because I have experienced so much of this pain and felt its traumatic effects and also seen many of the people that I love experience this pain, I greatly desire to help alleviate this type of suffering in the world, especially among those whom I care about most.  And these are the feelings that will sometimes not let me be silent about how dangerous and damaging I feel the faith traditions which we have been taught to follow in our our family can be, and why I am afraid that I may continue to offend many of you.  I have not yet found a way to reconcile my desire to respect faith with my desire to lessen the suffering that such faith inflicts.  Perhaps I simply need to accept that just like I could not save Mom from her cancer by the time I knew she had it, I cannot save others from experiencing the pain of psychologically harmful belief systems because everyone is on their own journey of discovery in this life.  But for whatever reason, this is really really difficult for me to accept.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Mark. I really appreciate the intimacy and vulnerability of the experiences you shared.

    I went through a similar experience as I watched Mom suffer the daily pain of struggling to be worthy enough or prove that she had sufficient faith to be healed. The particular beliefs we held about priesthood blessings made this pain even more acute. A lifelong steady diet of faith promoting stories of miracles wrought through priesthood blessings made her suffering so much more intense than it needed to be.

    I don't think that her death or suffering played a role in our decision to leave. To me it still sort of makes sense that an all-knowing God could see this sort of trial as exactly the sort of character building that he wants to put people through, but it does give just one more answer to the common question "what is the harm of staying if The Church *is* entirely false?".

    For me, the greater harm is still the good that I hope we can achieve as a species. The inaccurate understanding of the world, inculcated by religions (and more especially hard-line and evangelizing ones), is the greatest obstacle preventing us from making a heaven on Earth.

    We've got plenty of resources and the knowledge of what makes people happy. But in our country, the Bible gets used endlessly to manufacture consent for terrible ideas and "prosperity gospels" that prevent us from creating a more equitable society and prevent us from eliminating the two biggest causes of needless human suffering: food insecurity and healthcare insecurity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (paragraph 3 should say something more like "greater harm is the ways the LDS church prevents us from achieving the good that we can achieve as a species")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing more of your thoughts and experiences. I believe we'll all find more healing and love as a family as we're willing to be honest and vulnerable with each other.

    I don't think I ever believed that God spares righteousness people pain. History is full of examples of really faithful people who experienced really awful things. I believe God will let us experience whatever he knows we need to learn and grow our faith. I've been learning more and more how to just let go of my plans and really trust that God's plan for me is better. My most recent lesson in this is having Lily. I never could have known how much we need her.

    I also feel like I've been learning a lot about how to let go of the need to try to control or strongly influence the choices of others. Part of this is from feeling the frustration of others trying to tell me that my choices that I feel I've come to through study and inspiration couldn't possibly be right. And part of it comes from deepening my trust in God. I feel like I can let go and let Him help the ones I love make the right choices for themselves. It's so freeing to feel this way. All I have to do is love, be supportive, show empathy, and let go of the pressure
    Of feeling responsible for other people's choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brent, I didn't see your comment before I posted mine. I agree with you that religion is used to justify wrongs far too often. It's sickening, especially for me, when I see it among members of our church. But I don't think that has anything to do with who God is. God obviously isn't inspiring those ways of thinking. The real problem is that far too many people don't think for themselves. They blindly follow and are easily deceived. Getting rid of religion is not the answer. Instead I feel the solution is for people to choose love (for self, for others, and for God or the Earth or whatever they feel their life source to be) as their #1 motivator. If people chose love above all, even above a perceived or prescribed set of rules to follow, the world would know peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I like your perspective of letting go of the need to control or influence others. I guess that is something I need to work on. Scott (our brother) actually also brought that topic up in a text conversation we had recently.

    Brent, it is interesting that you can accept an all-knowing God putting someone through the character building trial of being promised they would live to an old age and then dying young. I see how that can be character building, but one of the traits I see it would teach is don't trust that God because he will mislead you. I was never really able to find a way to accept that, but it also was not the reason I left the church - I was willing to keep suffering myself with the mental anguish it caused me and it was only when I saw the extreme mental anguish it that the church was causing my family that I decided to change my beliefs. It was only after I'd tried my best to teach my children the gospel and the see that it only made them unhappy and unhealthy, and particularly for my wife and daughters when I was finally completely honest with myself about the institutionalized gender discrimination in the church. What really broke my belief in the church was when I realized that I could not believe in a God that would not want women to be called to lead the church as prophet just as often as men are called to that position, or a God that would sanction multiple marriage partners for men but not for women. I can't even imagine what it would be like to grow up being taught to believe in a God that clearly thinks you are less just because of your gender, and I feel really bad about doing that to my daughters and perpetuating that for my wife. That is why to me the saddest thing Brad Wilcox said in his Feb. 6 fireside full of sad and manipulative teachings was when he tried to use his young daughter not yet realizing that she belonged to an organization that discriminated against her as the punchline of a joke!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, yea, anyway, it was ultimately discrimination against women in the church through patriarchy and polygamy that allowed me to step outside of the feelings I held on to for so long that I needed to just have more faith. If the church would have just given women the priesthood and explicitly denounced polygamy, I likely would have kept believing in it and seen those changes as inspired corrections to earlier mistakes.

    But I do agree that religion holds back society. People don't take the blame or credit for their own actions, but instead credit God, when really they themselves did it all, good or bad. It has been really enlightening for me to realize that I can get all the same answers, inspiration, and comfort for which I used to credit God and the Holy Ghost but to now realize that that is just how my brain and the universe work. Either that or God doesn't care what I do or believe and is still giving me guidance and comfort even though I'm not asking him or giving him credit.

    Lisa, I'm not sure why you would agree that religion often leads people to blindly follow and be easily deceived but then still not see getting rid of religion as helpful? I agree that the solution is for people to choose love, but why do we need God for that? If there is a God who created us, that God has already given us the capacity to love others, even if we don't believe in God. And since that God has not actually given us anything outside of the world and universe we observe and our own existence, why attempt to ascribe any other attributes or requirements to this God? As long as anyone is claiming to have special access to the mind and will of God over others based on myths, traditions and/or manipulation of emotions (such as the concept of "witness of the spirit", which is pure manipulation), religion will only server to divide and hurt societies and people. As long as anyone subscribes to a belief system that puts their ideas above others' ideas in terms of being closer to what God wants, religion hurts and divides, just as it now hurts and divides our family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you really think that religion can help people, then which religion? And if there is one best religion, why will God not just reveal that universally to everyone instead of making it so difficult and requiring such a combination of social and mental tricks in order for a person to know of his truth? And why would this God not reveal to me the truth of the one best religion, especially when I tried to faithfully to follow it and teach it to other for so long? If the Holy Ghost is real, why would God not take away those feelings from me when I strayed from his true path so that I could recognize that I was losing his spirit and feel the need to come back to that true path? There are no good answers to these questions - either it is all made up, or I am openly rebelling against God and ought to, be everything we have been taught, lose this spirit and access to revelation. But since I have not your only choices are to assume that I am deceived or that it isn't real. Or I guess that God has some mysterious ways that allow me to still receive all the same help from him in spite of my rebellion, which effectively means there is no reason to follow God. So most logically, either I am deceived or religion is made up. That seems like a very divisive choice for God to present to you - why does he not reveal his existence more recognizably and resolve these conflicts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark, I agree with your reasoning. I think it leads to 3 possible answers:
    1. There is no god
    2. There is a god, but God has no ability to make his will known
    3. There is a god, but he has no desire to make his will known (or has no particular will for mankind), or no desire to make that will known on a global scale (Calvinism, or the various ethnicity-based plans for salvation).

    People would flock to anything that had a real reason to believe it. Almost everyone would be anxiously engaged in trying to better ourselves in the prescribed way, if there were a god and if that god had any interest in prescribing a path to follow. The fractured nature of religion isn't evidence that mankind is sinful or slow to follow, it's evidence that people are just making all of this up and very little of it is better at solving the human condition than any of the rest of it is.

    I really enjoyed this part of your comments:
    "It has been really enlightening for me to realize that I can get all the same answers, inspiration, and comfort for which I used to credit God and the Holy Ghost but to now realize that that is just how my brain and the universe work. Either that or God doesn't care what I do or believe and is still giving me guidance and comfort even though I'm not asking him or giving him credit."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, I agree with your prescription, but you must see how this will be easier if we adopt a cultural value that says "no one can reliably speak for God, so don't trust anyone who claims they know the rules you should follow". This effectively does away with, or at least severely blunts, the power of religion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brent, I completely agree. There may be God and I don't see any harm in every person believing for themselves whatever they would like about God. But to me it just seems so obvious that no one else can reliably tell you about God for you, and when they try, that is where most of the real problems with religion start. God may be found in the Bible just as much as God may be found in Dr. Suess, but the real problem with the bible is that people use it to try to tell others what God wants from them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the song Sleepwalker by The Killers, Brandon says "when the mountain comes back to life It doesn't come from without It comes from within", and I've realized that is also the the case for seeing the truth about God and religion. When I believed in the Church, no one else's change of heart or arguments would persuade me because I took it as a challenge to my faith the I must defend against. I wasn't really even open to seriously considering logic or evidence because I had a spiritual knowledge that gave me license to and even seemed to require that I ignore all sorts of potentially disturbing and dangerous facts.

    And even though my mental and spiritual health was continually damaged by my belief in and participation in the church, I was willing to stay strong and keep taking the abuse. It was only when I started to feel that my children were being damaged by the church that I was willing to even start to be honest with myself about how it was also affecting me.

    So, I doubt my own thoughts will change anyone else's views.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry you felt abused by the church. That is quite different than I feel, but completely understand that we all experience things differently. And I would absolutely remove myself from something that I felt was abusing me or my family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Last night I had a dream that our family went back to church, not because we believed in it, but just because we wanted to participate with our neighbors. Everyone was very nice, but the coolest thing was that this was a huge two story church with balconies looking down on the main chapel.

    I think this dream may have been inspired by feeling a little left out when yesterday I heard co-workers diving into the logistics of how it makes the most sense to pay your tithing annually and to put payments from two years into the same calendar year so that you can take the tax deduction one year for the amount of both years and then take the standard $25,0000 deduction for the other year. Sounded like a cool idea, but I realized that even though I pay more taxes, of course I come out ahead if I don't donate tithing at all (though we do still donate to other charities). They were also talking about how it makes sense to pay your annual tithing with stock donations, because then you don't have to pay taxes on the capital gains for those donated shares, which I guess is a higher tax rate than standard income. The math of it sounded very appealing, so I think I started to feel a little left out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We pay our tithing using tax donations but I hadn’t heard anyone before suggest paying two years of tithing in one calendar year. We pay significantly more taxes now with the new way of determining deductions because of how it kind of cancels out tithing/fast offerings. We donate to many other charity besides tithing so the itemized deductions is still the best option but does not help as much as before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I meant pay tithing using stocks. Not sure why I wrote tax donations. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here is something I was thinking about a lot last night and today: How do the current apostles and prophet handle the realization once they reach the top that that is all there is - God talks to them the same way He always has - through their own minds. Christ doesn't appear to them, and they know they don't actually have the power to, for example, heal a sick person through the priesthood, except according to "God's will". They don't know what is going to happen in the future, but do they just assume that their own feelings are what God wants them to know to lead the church?

    For the rest of us, we always at least have the buffer that perhaps we just aren't righteous enough, and if we were, we would surely get more direct revelation and exercise greater priesthood power. But I'm wondering how it would feel to get to the very top of the church hierarchy and realize that your revelation and priesthood power don't actually get any more real or direct. I guess by that point, a person has likely become very good at interpreting life's normal ups and downs in a faith promoting way (such as when our feelings are helpful, they were inspired, or when a person gets better after a blessing that was the priesthood power and when our feelings lead us astray we were deceived or not misunderstood and when a blessing has no effect it was just not the will of God). But it still seems like it could be a bit of a let down. I've always felt that President Monson changed very noticeably after Hinckley died, becoming much less energetic. I know he was getting older and eventually suffered from some dementia before he died, but it also seemed to me like he was disappointed and in some ways just trying to "endure to the end". My theory is that he always felt through his years of service in the 12 and First Presidency that the actual prophet somehow had more access to revelation and he was disappointed when he become prophet to find that things worked exactly as they always had.

    My impression, which I'll admit may not be completely fair, is that President Nelson has enough hubris to actually believe that his own thoughts and emotions are now directly inspired from God and that is how God speaks to his prophet, so he is very happy. Monson never seemed happy really after he became the prophet, but I think he was more humble and less able to just feel confident that whatever he felt was coming from God.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was reading yesterday about how the best evidence suggests some interesting things about the story of Adam and Eve in the bible:

    1) It contains many elements of a fable (talking snake, woman created from the rib of a man), suggesting it was never intended to be interpreted literally.

    2) It also contains many parallels with things in the Epic of Gilgamesh, which was created much earlier in history than the book of Genesis, suggesting that elements from ancient myths were used in the creation of this "creation" story.

    3) The story of Adam and Eve in Genesis was not added to the Hebrew bible until around 600 or 500 BCE.

    4) None of the older prophets of the Old Testament, such as Isiah or Jeremiah ever mention Adam or Eve at all, suggesting that this story was unknown at the time these records were created (which was earlier, even though Genesis is now the first book of the bible)

    I find this interesting, because for many Christians, accepting the story of Adam and Eve as a fable rather than a literal story of actual people would not be much of a challenge to their core beliefs, however, for members of our church, the evidence suggesting a non-literal interpretation of the story of Adam and Eve is a problem just because Joseph Smith seemed to take it so literally - seeing Adam in a vision (and later Joseph F. Smith also claimed to see Adam and Eve in a vision, see D&C 138), and naming Adam-ondi-Ahman as the place where Adam and Eve lived after being cast out of the Garden of Eden. None of these ideas makes sense unless Adam was literally a real person. And then of course there is Brigham Young's interpretation, since Sidney Rigdon and Joseph Smith taught that Adam was the "Ancient of Days" spoken of in the book of Daniel, which if you read seems to be referring to God, the Adam was, in fact, God. Also, the Book of Ether mentions Adam, and since the Book of Ether claims to be sourced from hundreds of years before the book of Genesis was added to the bible, this is problematic. Other places in the Book of Mormon also refer to Adam, but, at least in theory, this is not a historical issue as much because the brass plates could have (again at least theoretically) contained the story of Genesis, because it did come into existence around the time the Book of Mormon says that Lehi left Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This morning I listened to a fascinating podcast with Thomas Murphy where it talked about several parallels between stories and characters in the Book of Mormon and stories from native American converts to Christianity in the 200 years prior to the publishing of the Book of Mormon. Dr. Murphy, who is an anthropologist, also mentioned the interesting connection that several of the native American descendants of the people in these stores attended the same school (Dartmouth College) in New Hampshire as Hyrum Smith, Joseph Smith's brother. It was quite interesting to consider some of these native American traditional stories as likely influences on Joseph Smith as he translated the book of Mormon.

    ReplyDelete