Wednesday, May 18

Busy Bees

On Saturday, we had a How-to-Host-A-Murder party with several of Katherine's friends. It was a lot of work to put everything together but the kids had a blast and it was really nice to get to know Katherine's friends better. It was called "Deadly Ever After" and was based on characters from books such as Hamlet, Count Dracula, Robin Hood, Rapunzel, etc. Brian played our charming host, Sherlock Holmes. Katherine was Alice (from Alice in Wonderland). We made David a custom character. He decided to be the Phantom of the Opera. I played the victim and was killed off in the first act so I could spend the rest of the time serving food. The three younger kids have fun staying over at Grandpa and Grandma Sharon's so they could go to bed early (thanks again!).


The game took a little over two hours to play. Brian, with his amazing skills, figured out who the Murderer was in the first act but none of the teens guessed correctly until the end. They chased the Murderer down our street then spent rest of the time playing Murder in the Dark in our backyard.

Eric has been taking tennis lessons through the Rec Center. Elena enjoys playing on the playground with her friend Joseph while Eric plays tennis with Joseph's older brother, Max. We also signed him up for Coach Pitch Baseball and no one volunteered to be a coach so Brian and I are going to do it. I never thought that I would be a baseball coach but it is so important to Eric that we made a way for it to happen. He and his friend Max love to practice in our backyard. Hopefully my pitching will improve before the games start!

Rebekah's bees arrived a week and a half ago. We had an interesting time hiving the bees. It is normally a routine process but the weather was bad and the bees were on edge so a few people got stung including Rebekah. This was rather unnerving for her but she was able to get back into the hive a few days later and is excited to be working with her bees.

David had a serious reaction to a bee sting- he needed steroids and Benadryl for three days before his swelling went down. We now have an Epi-pen for emergencies and David has spent considerable time researching bees so he can be better prepared in the future.

Despite these set backs, the kids enjoy having the bees. One of the first things the kids do every morning is check on the hive. It is fun to see how industrious the bees are. We all agree that the guard bees are our favorites.

7 comments:

  1. I bet you'll have a great garden this year with the bees close by. We're wishing we had some bees to help with ours. The murder party sounds really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in the honey aspect of your bees. How soon will they have honey ready for me to eat? Will the honey taste better than what I buy at the store?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Rebekah. My bees will make honey all through the nectar flow then I will harvest all the excess honey that they make. Just so you know, my honey will taste better than store bought honey. Also, it will be better for you because it will have pollen in it from local flowers. We will harvest what the bees do not need before Labor Day. Then, if we have enough we will send you some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would really love to buy some honey from you. It is suppose to help with allergies.
    We have not planted our garden yet because it has been so cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds awesome! I really wish we had our own house so we could get some bees.

    I do think there is a dark sort of humor in having both a beehive and a person who is allergic to bees sharing the same backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we really debated what to do about the bees when the kids got stung. We wanted David and Rebekah to overcome their fear of bees by continuing to have the hive but we also didn't want to expose David to possible stings. The bees are really quite gentle. It just depends on the time of day or weather when you check on them. When I went into the hive with Rebekah, I removed some comb that was blocking an area that we needed to add a frame. I held the comb in my hands with literally hundreds of bees crawling around and I never felt threatened. Hopefully we can keep David away from the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think bees sound really fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete