Sunday, May 22

Archiving Options

Eventually, I will be archiving the old site. I wanted to suggest a couple of options so people could give me feedback on what to do.

First off, I am not planning on archiving the pictures. If someone really wants them I can, but over all I didn't think it would be that useful. A lot of older pictures have been removed over time any way. And it would be a large file.
As for the stories, I can archive the site as a whole, and then anyone who wants could set up their own local web server and it should all just work. This option is simplest, but it may not be very usable for many of us.
Another option would be to convert the stories and comments into documents. That would make reading a lot easier, but it would take a little longer to set up. (If anyone is really likes writing string parsing scripts they are welcome to assist on this.)
Or if anyone has another idea you are welcome to suggest it as well.

3 comments:

  1. I think for now you could just do the easiest option and archive the whole site. How large is it? Would it fit on a dvd rom or removable hard drive? Setting up a local webserver to access the old site seems fairly easy.

    I agree that there is no reason to archive the pictures - I assume everyone has copies of their own pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one would appreciate having the pictures also. Is there a way for me to download them to a DVD? Also, I really hope we can archive the comments in some date order. I had a terrible time finding the old post that gave details about the reunion after it was archived. Sorry I'm less literate than I should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Dad, no one can find anything that's been archived on the old site, it's not just you.

    ReplyDelete