Thursday, September 28

Music 2007

I'll just update this post to add the results of my recent listening and re-rankings, and leave the original post below.

Here are the results:

1.  Arctic Monkeys - Favorite Worst Nightmare.  Like most of my favorite albums, this combines a set of solid songs, interesting lyrics with at least a few incredibly great tracks the give you a few minutes of aural bliss while listening.  The combination of attitude, poetry and lots of great guitar make this my favorite album of 2007.  Top tracks:  Fluorescent Adolescent, Teddy Picker, 505

2.  The Thrills - Teenager.  This was the album that ended (at least so far) this band's career due to poor sales, but not at all due to any lack of quality.  I find the first single, Nothing Changes Around Here to be a beautifully aching tale of unresolved teenage romance, and the whole album is full of nostalgia for a time when your life was more difficult and full of emotions that seemed to matter more than then they probably did.  Top tracks:  Nothing Changes Around Here, I Came All This Way, The Boy Who Caught All The Breaks

3.  Interpol - Our Love To Admire.  No, this is not as strong as their debut, Turn On The Bright Lights, but it is still very very good.  Top Tracks:  Pace Is The Trick, Pioneer To The Falls, Heinrich Maneuver

4.  The Cribs - Men's Needs Women's Needs Whatever.  I've heard some people say this is their favorite Cribs album.  I think I like both their next one (with Johnny Marr) and their most recent one from this year a little better, but I do agree this one is really great.  It was produced by Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand.  Top Tracks:  I've Tried Everything, Men's Needs, Moving Pictures

5.  The Hoosiers - The Trick To Life.  It's a shame they never followed this up with another great album (though they have tried three times), but that doesn't change how special this one is.  A special 2cd 10th anniversary edition was recently released with a cover than combines all the colors from the multiple individual covers of the original release.  Top Tracks:  Worried About Ray, Goodbye Mr. A, Run Rabbit Run

6.  LCD Soundsystem - The Sound Of Silver.  Top Tracks: North American Scum, All My Friends
7. The National - Boxer.   Top Tracks: Mistaken For Strangers, Apartment Story
8.  The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters.   Top Tracks - That Summer, At Home I Had Become The Invisible Boy, And She Would Darken The Memory
9.  Kings Of Leon - Because Of The Times.  Top Tracks:  On Call, Arizona
10.  I Like Trains - Elegies To Lessons Learnt.  Top Tracks:  Spencer Percival, The Deception. 

Original Post:

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of 2007, I've decided to re-rank my top ten albums of that year.

 I think I probably posted a top ten for 2007 back on our old family website, though I currently have no idea which albums I chose and I don't remember if I have anyway to find those old postings.  If anyone knows of a way to find that old post, I'd love to see it.

Here are the albums I have in contention right now, along with my thoughts on them.  Please let me know if you have a album you like from 2007 that I've left out that perhaps I should consider:

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible.  I haven't listened to this one much in a while, but am I neglecting it?  I really love their latest 2017 album, but this one is a totally different sound.

Arctic Monkeys - Favorite Worst Nightmare.  This is currently listed as my favorite album of 2007, and I do definitely like it, but I wonder if I might actually like another album better.

The Cribs - Men's needs Women's Needs Whatever.  Produced by Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand, this definitely has some really great songs on it.

The Good, The Bad, & The Queen - s/t.  Damon Albarn's other project outside of Blur besides Gorillaz only produced one album.  I remember liking some of the songs but finding others a bit boring.

I Like Trains - Elegies To Lessons Learnt.  This is this band's first complete album.  I remember loving the singles but not loving the album quite as much.  I'll give it another try.

Interpol - Our Love To Admire.  I recently purchased the 10th anniversary re-release of this (it included a live dvd), so I've been listening to his recently and definitely still love it.  It definitely has a great cover.

Kaiser Chiefs - Yours Truly, Angry Mob.  I remember this was one of my favorite albums of 2007 originally, I believe.

Kings Of Leon - Because Of The Times.  I remember I listened to this back when it came out, but until recently I hadn't heard it in a while.  I want to hear it more to judge it better, now that their 2016 album was one of my favorites of last year.

LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver.   I've seen some people rank this as the band's best album.  I need to give it some more listens to see how I like it.  I remember Franz Ferdinand once covered the track "All My Friends" from this album.

The National - Boxer.  I don't think I ever even heard this back in 2007, but I do love their latest 2017 album, and I know many people say this one is their very best, so I'm going to listen to it more and see what I think.

Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters.  For some reason, I never bought this back when it came out, though I did buy subsequent albums by this band.  I find the cover art both intriguing and disturbing.

Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position.  I remember liking this a lot when I first heard it, but then not really liking any of his subsequent work and kind of forgetting about this album.

Well, that's my list of contenders so far - please suggest others you know of.





5 comments:

  1. Also in consideration: The Hoosiers - The Trick To Life. I somehow forgot about this one on my first list, but I do love this album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also remembered: The Thrills - Teenager. I think this one was in my original top ten for the year, but I can't be sure. I looked around for an old cd or dvd that has the old family web site but I don't think I have it anymore, so I don't have a way to check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to look up the old site, but I can't find my archive. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I updated the post above to contain my new top ten album rankings for 2007.

    ReplyDelete