I am currently reading the book All Things New, Rethinking Sin Salvation, and Everything in Between, written by LDS scholars Fiona and Terryl Givens. As I read, I am going to discuss here some of the ideas that I find interesting and also questions that come to my mind.
One of the scriptures that the book introduces in its introduction and then keeps returning to is 1 Nephi 13:32 about being in a "awful state of blindness", though they prefer they way the verse originally reads in the 1830 edition of the Book of Mormon, which says "awful state of woundedness". The cause of this state is the loss of plain and precious truths, and the authors apply this to Christianity in general, as well as the way that doctrines of Christ are often interpreted within the LDS church, and one of the main goals of the book is to suggest ways that we can use the restoration of these plain and precious truths to redefine some of the vocabulary and ideas we use in teaching each other Christ's gospel in ways that help us to more greatly overcome this awful state of woundedness.
As the first chapter, The First Christians, concludes, we read that the two most important of these lost truths are first, the pre-mortal existence - that we are co-eternal with God, and second the divine parentage of Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother - that we are their spiritual offspring. My questions that, at least so far the book has not answered, mostly concern the second concept, the parenthood of God. If the truth that we have a Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother is so important to our understanding the gospel in a more uplifting way, why do we make so little use of Heavenly Mother in our teachings and practices? Why did she not appear with Heavenly Father and Jesus to Joseph Smith in hist first vision, which is often held up as important in teaching us of the true nature of Heavenly Father and Jesus?. I would think that the fact that Heavenly Father has a wife that is our Heavenly Mother would have also been an important point for Joseph to learn at that time. Or, perhaps She was there, because the Holy Ghost is actually Heavenly Mother? But again, if that is the case, why are we not taught this doctrine more clearly. It feels to me like we, as a church, are alway very careful to keep any discussion of Heavenly Mother at a distance in a way that makes it difficult to find any real meaning in the idea that we have divine parents. It feels to me like we mainly just emphasize Heavenly Father by praying only to Him and almost always referring only to Him in scripture and gospel teaching. But, I can see that perhaps the authors are suggesting, however subtly, that this almost purely patriarchal focus is one of the false traditions that we need to improve and that as a people, we will find the truths of the gospel more helpful and healing when we more fully embrace both Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother. From a practical standpoint, I can certainly see how subtlety is often needed when a person (or two people in this case) want to suggest a way that our church could improve without appearing to be calling out our leaders for not having already taught the suggested improvement themselves.
The second chapter, Double Catastrophe, goes into more detail about ways that these important truths were lost over the years. One of the points I found most interesting in this chapter is that the authors explicitly disagree with the idea that the Reformation helped to pave the way for the Restoration, suggesting instead that key reformation doctrines actually moved us even further away from key truths in Christianity, increasing the gap between what was taught and what was true, and also laying the foundation for many false ideas who's influences have continued to seep into Latter Day Saint teachings since the restoration. I find it interesting that the authors seem to want to lay the blame for any harmful or less loving teachings about the atonement, sin, and repentance in our church on false traditions that prevailed following the Reformation in spite of the fact that we experienced a restoration that was supposed to have the purpose of correcting those mistakes. I guess perhaps they are suggesting that the restoration should and will correct all of those mistakes, but that these ideas are somehow still so clingy that this continues to be a work in progress, and thus the need for this book.
Chapters 3 and 4, Modern Liahonas and A New Language, seem pivotal as they clearly lay out a justification for and then an explanation of the direction for the rest of the book, which will be to redefine our vocabulary around words such as Salvation, Heaven, Fall, Sin and Atonement, in light of restored truths. The authors point out the prevailing assumption within Latter-day Saint culture that we can make all scriptures harmonize and that everything in the scriptures is true and accurate, and then point out some problems with that assumption. The advise us to be more cautious in our assumptions about scriptural inerrancy in light of both explicit statements by modern prophets about errors in the Bible, as well as our understanding that in the restoration, as always, revelation comes to us imperfectly because we are imperfect. The authors quote B. H. Roberts, who defines two sorts of saints: those who defend the truths we have, and those who seek to "cooperate in the works of the spirit" in further developing our truths and enlarging our understanding and use of them. Like B. H. Roberts, the authors are inviting us to become these second sorts of saints, as we seek to find more healing, more clear, and more hopeful ways of defining our language vocabulary around some of our key gospel doctrines. I found this part of the book very well written and convincing, but I do still question how acceptable this approach will actually be to our church culture in general and specifically to our church leaders. Certainly there have been many in the past who have attempted to go down similar paths with similar justifications and then found themselves involuntarily losing their membership in a church that has often, at least historically, prioritized unity of doctrine and conformity over individual truth searching and diversity of inspiration.
The balance of the book dives into specific topics and seeks to find ways to contrast views on these topics influenced by religious ideas from the reformation that the authors argue moved us further from original Christianity with views influenced by restoration scripture and thought, with an overriding goal of interpreting these principles focusing on our own eternal nature and potential for eternal progression and on the love God has for all of as because they are our Heavenly Parents. I found some ideas I liked here: heaven is divine relationships; sin should be viewed more as mistakes we make while striving to learn; the atonement is more about healing than redeeming, in part because the fall was more about progression than sin; we should focus more on helping others than on our own worthiness; and, we should adopt truths from wherever we find them. Also, the chapter on Judgement references The Good Place, so that was fun. However, overall, I found two main problems that left me feeling that the book did not quite achieve its potential. One, I did not find all of their ideas compelling in that they often seem to lack a convincing logical or philosophical underpinning. For example, they want to make the purpose of Christ's atonement mainly about healing, but at least in my view, they never actually explain why he had to suffer or die in order to heal us. Two, they cling to the idea that there is some sort of inherent flaws in us as humans. For example, they write:
"We are 'whole from the foundation' of the world. But as we come to live in a sphere where chaos reigns, ensouled in bodies subject to all that is "carnal" and "sensual", tempted by all that appeals to our biologically inherited natures, we taste the bitter fruit in order to learn to prize the sweet. This process of reeducating our inclinations is one way to translate very literally repentance."
I find this attempt to divide what is us between our "pure" souls and our "sensual" bodies difficult to accept or use as a basis for any sort of theological conclusions. I believe that we are, as humans, good both body and soul, and that our desires to learn, to belong, to love and be loved, for physical and emotional intimacy are all key to what makes us who we are. I don't find it uplifting to take some of those parts of us and try to define them as the world that we need to try to overcome. I like rather, to believe that we are all progressing, trying to become the best versions of ourselves while also fully accepting ourselves.

These are interesting ideas, Mark. I can tell you're really thinking a lot about this and trying to make sense of it. I hope you find the answers you need to feel peace. Here are some thoughts I've been formulating about all this:
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I'm really sad that you guys have been having such a hard time. Especially when I read Kristi's words, I just felt really sad for you guys. I feel sad that I haven't been in a place where I could be more of a support system. I think our family is great at discussing facts, but I'd love to see us get to a place where we feel comfortable sharing our feelings, especially the difficult ones. I'd love to feel more of an emotional support system in our family - a place where we can safely share everything. I feel encouraged by the responses to your announcement, that was for many of us quite disturbing. I feel like people have responded with love and acceptance, which is great. I hope you feel the same. The thing I have realized is that I need to make a more concerted effort to form personal, real relationships with each of my siblings, so I can be better informed about what is happening in everyone's lives in a way that I can be more useful and supportive.
Secondly, I wanted to share the experience I had last year related to feeling overwhelmed with my humanness and self-loathing, and what King Benjamin meant when he said we are less than the dust of the earth. Last year in April, after General Conference (as is typical, I think), I was really struggling with feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness. I was also overwhelmed with anxiety about everything happening in the world, especially with how it was effecting my family. Just when we were finally getting back on our feet financially, Scott's one customer cut their contract to almost nothing, and I was scared about that. I saw our hopes and plans to move completely fall apart. Anna was not sleeping at all because of anxiety about earthquakes, and everyone was worried about all the adjustments we were making because of COVID.
ReplyDeleteI was trying my best to be everything for everybody and keep us all going, but I was really struggling to feel loved at all. Then the Come Follow Me lesson about King Benjamin's address came and I read that scripture about being less than the dust of the earth, and I really felt it. I just felt so worthless, and that even though I was putting forth all of my effort, I just couldn't overcome all of my weaknesses. I just couldn't have enough hope or faith or love or anything. Through all of that, though, every once in a while, I would get glimpses of truth and hope, though I couldn't hold on to them for very long. One truth I feel like the Spirit revealed to me is that King Benjamin meant that compared to God I am nothing. He is perfect, all loving, all powerful, all knowing, etc., and my mortal condition makes me nothing compared to Him, but compared to all other mortals, I am equal. And that because of the atonement, I can hope to overcome all my weaknesses caused by mortality. And that nothingness that He talks about does not at all reflect the way Heavenly Father feels about us. When I was at that lowest point, Tina suggested I write down some of those truths or affirmations and read them every day, so that I don't keep forgetting them. I did that, and it helped tremendously. I now remind myself everyday how much Heavenly Father loves me, that I am equal in his eyes to every other mortal, that He has blessed me with just what I need to become just who I need to be, and others truths like that that I kept forgetting.
And just one more thought about the atonement and self-loathing. I wonder how eliminating the need for a Savior helps you overcome feeling of self-loathing. I feel like the self-loathing comes because of my humanness. No matter how hard I try, I can't be as thoughtful as I want to be, I am so clumsy, I make the same mistakes over and over again. I especially hate how my weaknesses cause pain to those I love the most. It's sickening and very difficult to bear. I feel like it is only because of the atonement that I can overcome those feelings. I love this quote by Elder Renlund (which is part of my daily affirmations): "Our Heavenly Father, referring to His Beloved Son, said, “Hear Him!” As you act on those words and listen to Him, remember, joyfully and reverently, that the Savior loves to restore what you cannot restore; He loves to heal wounds you cannot heal; He loves to fix what has been irreparably broken; He compensates for any unfairness inflicted on you; and He loves to permanently mend even shattered hearts."
ReplyDeleteI find hope and peace in knowing that (even though I don't completely understand how) because of our Savior's sacrifice, all of my mistakes, and the way they effect others can be fixed. I found the recent Come Follow Me lessons very insightful about this as well. Joseph Smith made a huge mistake when he lost the 116 manuscript pages. He felt that he had lost his soul. But the Lord had prepared a way to fix that mistake thousands of years before he made it. And the whole thing led to Joseph and others learning some really important life-changing lessons. I think that's how it is for us. There is nothing I can do to permanently damage the work of the Lord (or my kids' futures). The Lord has a miraculous way of using our mistakes (even the really big ones) to further his work. I don't know if I'm clearing stating what I'm trying to, but I hope so.
The other thing I find so comforting about the doctrine of Christ is that He didn't just "pay the debt" of our sins. He felt everything that we feel. So he is able to have complete mercy and compassion for why we do what we do. He knows that I'm having a really hard time, but I'm doing the best I can to improve a little each day. I don't think so much about the pain that I caused Him because I don't think that He thinks about it much. He did that for us because He loves us. He found joy through the pain because of love, and that's what I'm trying to do too.
Thanks, Lisa. I appreciate your thoughts. Sorry you sometimes feel worthless. I hope none of you feel worthless. I think each of you are pretty amazing. I think we have a really special family, and I love you all.
ReplyDeleteLisa, I enjoyed reading your comments - thank you very much for sharing them.
ReplyDeleteI've also been reading some other books in addition to All Things New, including The Universal Christ by Richard Rohr, Mormon Philosophy Simplified by Brittney Hartley, and Everything Is Spiritual by Rob Bell. As I've done so, I think that one of the big things I've realized is that many people do have ways of interpreting and using the doctrines of Christ and the atonement in their lives that they find very positive and beautiful. I also see even more how different people, even in the same church, identify with or emphasize different approaches to doctrines and beliefs. I feel encouraged to keep trying to search for and understand ideas that I will help me.
ReplyDeleteI love this talk about grace from Brad Wilcox. I listened to it again this morning. It inspires me to keep learning and keep trying despite my weaknesses, and to rely on the Savior’s love and grace. https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/brad-wilcox/his-grace-is-sufficient/
ReplyDeleteOne of the things I like about that talk by Brad Wilcox is stressing the idea of relying on grace to make up for all of our mistakes and shortcomings.
ReplyDeleteBut, there are a couple of aspects of that talk that rub me the wrong way. First, I thought he tried to draw a contrast between LDS beliefs and those of some other Christians in a way that was both not helpful and also misrepresented the beliefs of most non-LDS Christians about grace, at least as far as I understand them. My understanding from my experiences and reading are that most people who believe that we are saved by the Grace of Christ alone do not, as Brad tried to represent, believe that means we don't need to put in any effort to improve or repent, but rather that even the enabling power to do so is all part of that saving grace, which I think is basically the same thing Brad was trying to teach. I think the idea of being saved by grace to most Christians means that the grace of Christ changes you in this life, not just that it saves you in the next. I think Brad was trying to say we can rely more on that same grace to give us the power to change. To me it would seem more helpful to emphasize how his beliefs and the beliefs of his Christian friends are similar rather than how they are different, especially in this specific case where I think if he really understood what they believe, he would see that they are pretty much arriving at the same place with respect to the role that Christ's grace plays in changing our hearts and minds.
Similarly, it seemed like he was trying to draw a division between people who are trying to follow Christ and those who are not. I don't think it is helpful to draw those kinds of lines or judge who is following God and who is not. But in this talk, he specifically invites the listeners to "Think of your friends and family members who have chosen to live without faith and without repentance. They don't want to change." So, he is asking us to judge our friends and family members? I think all people, whatever they believe, deserve the benefit of the doubt about their goals and desires to change. Also, it seems unfair to me to imply as he does that young men and young women who choose to leave the church do so because they either don't understand grace or don't want to try to be better people, or that a couple who chooses to get divorced does so because they don't understand grace. To make such generalizations seems to me to ignore the many complex challenges that might lead people to these situations and attempt to simplify life down to a form of the prosperity gospel applied to relationships - just understand grace and trust in Christ and you will never face divorce. I think teachings like that can be hurtful to some who feel like they and their spouse do understand grace but still find themselves getting divorced. I don't think we should try to judge how much faith or understanding another person has by whether they leave their church or get divorced.
So, while I think the idea of trusting more in divine grace is uplifting, I question why he feels the need to draw so many divisions between people in order to get his point across. LDS, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, agnostic, or even atheist, single, married, or divorced, aren't we all just trying to do our best to live a meaningful life? Can't we see divine grace as a unifying force for everyone, instead of trying to draw more boundaries in the world between those who get it (whatever we think "it" is) and those who don't?
I agree, Mark that Brad’s talk was not perfect, but I found inspiration in it and have really enjoyed it the times and have listened to it in the past. He definitely was more divisive then he could have been. I hope you are not as critical of the things I say as you are of him, but even more I hope you aren’t so critical of yourself.
ReplyDeleteKevin, I think you are probably right that I was overly critical of his talk - I think I've just become super sensitive to the use of religion to build tribes of us vs. them.
ReplyDeleteI thought about it more, and I realized the most likely reason I responded so strongly to that talk. Kevin, I'm not at all saying you shouldn't find it uplifting, and I'm happy that you do. For me, the big issue is the idea that there are two groups of people - those who are trying hard enough and/or trusting Christ's grace enough to make it to the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom, and another group who are not. You might know some people in the second group, or perhaps you yourself might be in the second group. So, the idea of those two groups existing always brings up to each person the questions: Am I doing enough? Am I careful or casual? Am I enough? I've realized that those questions crush my soul, and I just can't look at myself or others that way any longer.
ReplyDeleteI think that is the opposite of what he was saying. He is saying, It isn’t a question if you are doing enough but if you believe and don’t give up. Everyone is enough. There is no doing enough to get to the celestial kingdom. So I don’t worry or ask myself that. I definitely don’t ever wonder if I am enough that is a yes for everyone. We are all good enough. I just ask if I am trying, and that is a simple question to answer.
ReplyDeleteI also don’t think about two groups or wonder if other people are in a group or not. I don’t remember Brad saying anything about 2 groups of people.
I think we are all learning and deciding what we want and in the end we will all get what we wanted. That is what free agency is all about. We get to choose. I don’t think people who choose not to be in the celestial kingdom will be miserable I think they will be happy with their choice.
This reminds me of this talk from general conference a few years ago. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2016/10/am-i-good-enough-will-i-make-it
ReplyDeleteKevin, I can completely see your point of view on this and what you are saying does make sense. I can relate also because I used to think similarly.
ReplyDeleteI recently finished reading an interesting essay by Dan Vogel, published in 1993 that discusses anti-universalist Rhetoric in the Book Of Mormon and also frames the discussion in the historical context of theological arguments that were being made in the early nineteenth century both for and against the doctrine of universal salvation. We know that Joseph Smith's grandfather Asael was a universalist and that his father Joseph Smith Sr also sometimes expressed universalist leanings, and that both of these men were persuaded by the doctrines taught in The Book Of Mormon to abandon their universalist beliefs. It's interesting to look at the history of these ideas when also considering that a couple of years after the Book Of Mormon was first published, Joseph Smith received the revelation about the three degrees of glory, which certainly softened some of the anti-universalist rhetoric found in The Book of Mormon with the idea that most sinners (other than those that commit unpardonable sins), rather than going to hell, will still inherit a lesser degree of glory. In some ways, I see a book like All Things New as a continuation of the attempt to find doctrinal ways to soften some of the harsher teachings about sin and punishment found, for example, in the teachings of King Benjamin and Alma.
ReplyDeleteHere is the essay:
ReplyDeletehttp://signaturebookslibrary.org/anti-universalist-rhetoric-in-the-book-of-mormon/
I found President Nelson's recent conference address from the Sunday Morning session somewhat disturbing because he seemed to be emphasizing the importance of faith while also teaching a type of faith that implies that God is often cruel. This feels very personal to me because of how much pain and sorrow I felt when I firmly believed that God could heal Mom from her cancer but was choosing not to for some unknown higher reason that we can only understand later. Like the Saints in his talk who showed their faith by sitting through the rain when God decided not to answer their prayers as they had hoped, President Nelson taught that we need to accept God's will and allow our faith to sustain us through our trials. So how exactly does faith help? What if we just didn't have faith. God could still stop the rain or not, heal our loved ones or not, so what is the difference? For me the difference is that I would rather not believe in a God who sometimes intervenes miraculously in our lives and sometimes does not, depending on our faith, our worthiness, but then also "his will". That's a really cruel God who always leaves you wondering if you could have deserved the miracle he chooses not to grant you if only you had been more righteous or demonstrated more faith. At least for someone like me, that is a path of constant mental torture and unhappiness.
ReplyDeleteUntil Mom got sick and died, I've realized that I firmly believed that as long as we had faith and lived righteously, God would not allow really bad things to happen to us, but would bless us with health and protection. Yes, we would eventually die, but only after a long and fulfilling life. I applied my OCD tendencies towards living up to my side of that bargain, trying to scrupulously live in such a way to show God I had faith and was righteous and thus deserving of his highest blessing of protection and prosperity. After Mom got sick, my entire world view was torn apart. The God I had trusted in was letting me down, but now, like President Nelson taught in his recent talk, it was up to me to show God my faith by accepting his will even though he chose not to answer my most fervent prayers. And I tried so hard to do that well, but inside I felt like it destroyed part of me. How could I trust in this God if he could repay all my best efforts with such hurt and sorrow? I still believed in his arbitrary intervention, and also that there would still be later rewards for my continued faithfulness, but since I realized I couldn't count on him for blessings of health, I switched my OCD focus more to eating just the right foods, still desperately looking for some what to assure the outcomes I hoped for of good health and a long life. That path of trying to control and find assurance continued to negatively affect my mental health for years until last year when I finally received treatment that taught me how to let go and accept the uncertainty. When I am able to actually accept the reality that I don't know how long I will live or if I will get a terrible disease or if I will die in a car crash tomorrow, ironically, I can find much better peace and happiness. But accepting that life is full of uncertainty also helped me reconcile with the cruel God, who demanded my faith and devotion only to reward me seemingly randomly, by accepting the uncertainty about whether or not this God even exists or is a figment of my imagination. Obviously, I can't ever actually know that, so why have stress about it? Surely if there were a loving God that actually cared about such things as whether we go to church or what name we call that church, wouldn't he make the correct path a lot more obvious so that more than just an extremely small percentage of his children could follow that one true path? I don't know who or what God is, but I've realized that we live in a beautiful world full of uncertainty. I can't control what happens to me or the people I love, but I can make the choices for myself each day that I feel will bring the most happiness to me and those I love, and I think that is beautiful. I can feel gratitude for this earth and our lives even while accepting that I can't know how long our lives will last or what happens after we die. I feel more peace than I ever have before, but I didn't get to that point by being, as President Nelson suggested in his talk, too lazy to exercise a particle of faith. I got there by working harder than ever to unlearn faith in a God who can only help me arbitrarily while always demanding my utmost attention to his arbitrarily evolving demands, such as the idea that God wants us to embrace the good in the word Mormon evolving to the idea that Christ is offended when we call his church by that name. How does that fit with the teaching that we can only be offended if we choose to let ourselves be offended? President Nelson said that no matter what happens our faith will allow us to press forward, whether God answer our prayers the way we want or not. Well, not having faith can also help you press forward with the same exact ability to accept whatever happens, but without all the guilt about whether it might have happened differently if only you'd had more faith.
ReplyDelete