Below is a picture of me at what is supposedly the southern-most point in continental Asia, though that's actually a bit funny, since a glance at a map shows you that there are other places nearby that are a bit further south.
I also visited Merlion Park, where there is a statue of a Merlion spraying water from its mouth. A merlion has the head of a lion and the body of a fish, and is a national symbol of Singapore.
Singapore is a fascinating country. It is a city-state at the southern end of the Malay peninsula, and is mostly comprised by a large island, with a few smaller islands around it. When it gained independence in 1965 (it was formerly a British colony), it established English as the first of its 4 official languages, and began requiring all school instruction to happen in English. As a result, the majority of the population speaks English, and all the signs, ads, and so on are in English. In fact, there are lots of people who consider English to be their first language, even though their grandparents spoke only Chinese or Malay. It's also very clean and safe - I never felt remotely threatened, even walking all over the city at night. They also have a great subway and bus system, so that you can get anywhere on the island fairly inexpensively.
Jennifer and the kids stayed home so that the kids could finish their school year. We spoke every day (sometimes several times a day) on FaceTime, but I'm glad to be home with them again. I brought lots of Singaporean candy and snacks for them to try. So far, they've liked several of them, but others they haven't enjoyed as much. We still haven't tried the Durian Paste, which is made from one of the stinkiest fruits I've ever encountered. I'm also still trying to get over jet lag, though I feel a lot better today than I did yesterday.
Wow, what a cool experience. What did the students build?
ReplyDeleteGood to hear from you, Brian. I'm glad you were able to go, and that you've returned safely. It sounds like a neat experience.
ReplyDeleteFor the project, 2 teams built revised cleaning carts, two teams came up with products to motivate people to return their own dishes (rather than having cleaners do it), one team came up with new ways to improve air circulation in the centers, and one team developed a new way to clean tables based on using squeegees rather than rags (and hence less bacteria germinating on the rags).
ReplyDeleteSounds and looks like an exciting trip!
ReplyDelete