Tuesday, October 16

Fall Happenings


I really liked reading everyone's updates. I wanted to do a post about September and I just realized that October is halfway done! I have been having problems with my stomach that wake me up most nights. I've been taking meds which seem to be helping but they didn't tonight so I thought I'd write a post about our family.

Katherine really likes being in high school. Her biggest challenge was learning to find her way around the school but she seems to be doing better. She has been able to stay connected with her friends from junior high is making new friends in her classes. She is in a select Women's Choir and they have their first concert on Thursday. AP History is her most challenging class but she really enjoys expanding her viewpoints and it is stretching her as a writer. She likes going to football games with her friends and is active in National Honor Society.

David is finishing the paperwork for his Eagle Project which is a struggle for him. Our goal is to help him to turn in his papers by the end of the month and have his board of review in November so he can get a special 100 Years of Eagle Scouts patch. He liked having Derek come help him with his project and thanks to Tina for donations! David is also in the school play “Twisted Tales of Terror.” It is a comedy based on werewolves, Frankenstein, Dracula, etc. He is still doing tae kwon do and piano so his life is quite busy until the play ends this month (his play is Oct. 25th, 26th and 29th- he'd love for anyone to come see him!).

Rebekah is doing a fitness program with her class where she wears a pedometer and she tracks how many steps she walks everyday. Her goal is a daily average of 10,000. We often find her bouncing in her room at night so she can reach her goal before bed. Rebekah is transitioning into a teen and she enjoys some of the extra responsibilities and privileges that come from making more decisions for herself. However, she wants to savor every last drop of being a kid and we're glad that she doesn't want to grow up too fast.

Eric did a 3K at school a few weeks ago and beat last year's time by about 15 seconds. He would have gone faster but I was the one setting the pace and didn't want to push him too hard. When he finished the race, he got a drink and then ran over to the school track where the K-2 were running and he ran another lap for good measure. We decided to sign Eric up for a 5K this Saturday. He's been practicing at home and we believe he will do well. We are trying to find positive ways for Eric to use his boundless energy. He has been biking to school and we are signing him up for basketball.

Elena loves school! She loves her teacher and loves being with the older kids. One of Rebekah's church friends waits for Elena everyday after school just to give her a hug. It is nice that she enjoys school so much but I also like having time with her in the afternoon. Elena had been very hesitant to make the transition to a two-wheeler bike and would cry anytime I talked about taking her training wheels off. However, we finally convinced her to try it without the training wheels and she took right off! Brian was gone at a meeting and she was so excited to surprise him in the morning.

Brian has been crazy busy with Friends of Scouting and is dreading doing the rechartering for our Scouts. He is teaching two classes this semester instead of teaching one class and being a Capstone coach. Our kids miss having the Capstone kids around but I think that Brian has had more time this way. Brian spends his free time working on his clock. For FHE this week, we went to BYU so Brian could show the kids the laser cutter and they all cut something out of wood.

I started taking an Institute class during the day. I enjoy studying the New Testament and sharing ideas. I still try to play volleyball once a week but I haven't been consistent since school started. I am the Room Parent coordinator for Bonneville and I volunteer in both Elena and Eric's classes as well as being Eric's room parent. I am doing teacher appreciation and the Reflections art program at Orem Junior High. Besides driving carpool for Rebekah everyday, I am signed up to help with field trips and send supplies for parties. Truthfully I don't do anything for Katherine's school except send money which is nice because I don't have much time left in my day. :)  

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. We'd like to see david's play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you guys are really busy! Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you are having trouble sleeping! Thanks for telling us more about what is happening in your amazing lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric finished his 5k yesterday. He ran it in 32:31. We didn't do any running on hills so he slowed down a lot on the big hill between 8th South and 4th South on 800 West in Orem. He was very pleased to finished and wants to do another. We're contemplating a kid triathlon in St. George next year. Also, I had him sprint in front of me at the end so he beat me by 2 seconds and he won't stop teasing me about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry- I mistyped. Eric's time was 32:39.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Job Eric. That is a really good time.

    ReplyDelete