I am doing some genetic testing and need some information from each of you who are blood related to me. I need to know if you have had a colonoscopy and if polyps were found and how many. I also need to know if you have been diagnosed with any forms of cancer, and if so what age and what kinds of cancer. Also if you know this information for any of our aunts, uncles, grandparents, relatives I need this also. If you either post or email this to me I would appreciate it.
I've had two colonoscopies, no polyps found (they did find something once that they removed, but lab test said it wasn't even a polyp). I've never yet been diagnosed with any forms of cancer. I don't know this information for anyone else.
ReplyDeleteI had one colonoscopy and nothing was found. I've never been diagnosed with any form of cancer. I think Dad and Aunt Kathleen would be the best to ask about the other relatives, and I'm not sure how often either of them checks this site. I'd like to know more about what you're doing and why.
ReplyDeleteI am meeting with a genetics counselor at the Huntsman institute and this information is required in the preforms that I am filling out. I am meeting with her at the request of my dermatologist. She thinks I have Birt Hogge Dube syndrome because I have had collapsed lungs. So I had an ultrasound of my kidneys. The radiologist said I have no problems; however, my dermatologist still feels like there may be an issue with a couple other genetic diseases. I think she is a little crazy and looking for issue, but don't mind doing the testing and finding out more about myself. I prefer a doctor who is overly thorough than one who assumes everything is normal.
ReplyDeleteI have had one colonoscopy and they found no polyps.I have not ever been diagnosed with any form of cancer.
ReplyDeleteBrian and David have both had abnormal moles removed and they both see a dermatologist but they have never had a problem with hair follicles. From what I've read, tall skinny people are more prone to collapsed lungs. I think that fits you to a T.
ReplyDeleteSorry- the hair follicle bit was in reference to the Birt Hogge Dube ayndrome. I think you're right that it's quite unlikely that you have it.
ReplyDeleteI have ha a colonoscopy but no polyps, etc. No cancers as yet. My father had frequent skin growths removed during his later years, we assume because he worked on a farm growing up, etc. He had a colonoscopy near the end of his life & my mother was told he had inoperable colon cancer. At that point he had been thru so much that she decided not to tell him about it and I believe that was the cause of death, but at 93, and given all the other problems he had survived, something was going to take him sooner or later anyway. He had diabetes from around age 50 on and survived multiple heart bypasses and other heart problems.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like I may be the only one who has never had a colonoscopy. It is not for asking, but my doctor tells me each time that it is only recommended 10 years prior to the earliest age that a relative has been found to have cancer, so I am waiting until I'm 40. Since we all pay about 55-60% more for our health coverage than anyone else in the world, I'm actually in favor of some level of not doing every procedure possible. I've never been diagnosed with cancer.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't have had one so young, but I was having some symptoms, and with the family history, the doctor thought it best. It turns out I was just lactose intolerant. I won't have another one until I'm 41 or so. (10 years after the first).
ReplyDelete