Tuesday, November 3

Aftermath

 



Until recently, if you'd asked me what was my favorite album of 1966, I'd have quickly said Revolver by The Beatles.  However, I've recently discovered that Aftermath by The Rolling Stones, is actually even better!

One important thing to know about this album is that there are two different versions (US and UK) with two different covers and track listings.  The US one is ok (it begins with Paint It Black, but leaves off a lot of the best tracks), but I overall, I find the UK one to be far better.  This post is about the UK Aftermath.

The album begins with a string of four very strong songs:  Mothers Little Helper, Stupid Girl, Lady Jane, and Under My Thumb.  While one could certainly make the case that lyrically, these songs show a fairly mean attitude towards women, they do have some great tunes.  Side one of the album ends with the almost eleven minute Going Home, which, no matter how much you like the song, certainly is at least seven minutes longer than it needs to be.  But, perhaps, as it drags on seemingly forever, it helps you relate to the lyrics about just wanting to be home but still having a long journey to get there. 

Side 2 is where the album really shines for me, especially the songs Out Of Time, I Am Waiting, Take It Or Leave It, and What To Do (now you see why I'm dismissive of the US version - it leaves off three of my four favorite tracks on side 2).  For me, these are some of my all-time favorite tracks by The Rolling Stones, with catchy melodies and great lyrics.  Listening to these really makes me feel happy.

I currently only own this album in the mono cd version from the 2016 mono box set (which also includes the US Aftermath mono cd), though I did also recently order a 1986 London Records stereo cd version after listening to the 2002 stereo cd from the library.   I'd like to to find a stereo or mono vinyl lp of the UK version, but there does not seem to be one currently in print.  

If you like rock music, I highly recommend checking out this album!

No comments:

Post a Comment