Sunday, October 19

Lots Going On

A lot has happened since my last post. Probably the biggest thing is that I found out the contract I have been working on since moving out here will be coming to an end around the end of the year. It was a surprise, but really working one contact for as long as I have is rare. So we have been considering what to do next. The nice thing is that my company likes me, and wants to keep me. We have not solidified what we will be doing next, but we hope to have things worked out soon, at which point I will let you know.
In other news, Trevor had his first swim meet of the new year-round season. He did pretty well. He took several seconds off both his freestyle and backstroke. Alexa is back in dance class, and they have received their parts for the Nutcracker and are starting to learn those. She will be one of the children dancing at the party at the beginning, she will also be a mouse and in the mother goose dance in the land of the sweets. She is really excited.

Yesterday was our yearly Fun Run and 5K. The kids both did the mile again. Alexa started off strong, but then got a stomach cramp which she was never able to shake. That was hard for her, but she persevered and completed the race despite it. Trevor ran a good race. I believe he was a bit faster than last year.

Then I ran the 5K and had my best run yet. I still have not met my goal of running it in under 21 minutes, but I was 13 seconds closer than last year with a time of 21:08! Which was good enough for 7th overall and 1st in the 30 - 39 male category.The course has a big hill with about a mile left that really wipes me out. You can see in these charts that I lost a lot of speed going up that hill, and then it took me a while to get my legs back after it:
In the afternoon We did a lot of work around the house, including raking leaves. There were a lot of leaves, and looking at the trees it looks like they are still full. We are going to have a lot of raking to do still.
s


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! I think 21:08 is a great time for a 5K - I think the best I've ever done is about 28 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep us posted on your future. Good luck as you make those decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I wish I could watch Trevor's swim meets and Alexa's dance performances. You guys should definitely move to the bay area. The job market for software engineers is incredible. The area is filled with educated interesting people and there's a great cultural focus on education. There are lots of great schools around me. The weather is so nice and we would love to see you more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We would love to have you at swim meets and dance performances, but the bay area is not the right place for us. Instead we are moving to Cincinnati Ohio! I will start working there in January. We are working to get our home on the market, in hopes that we can get it sold by then. It is kind of crazy and not at all what we were planning a month ago, but we feel it is the right move for our family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! That's some big news! Good luck with selling your house. Hopefully it will sell quick! You are going to have a crazy couple of months!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you were able to find a new job especially since your kids enjoyed their time in Cincinnati so much. I'm sad that I didn't make it to your house in Virginia but Cincinnati isn't too far from NY. It's a good thing that you didn't end u[ at OSU because then we couldn't be friends anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We got our house on the market over the weekend!
    I should clarify, that I am moving with my current company, essentially doing the same job. I have been working on site at a customer facility for the past four years, but now I will be working from the same location as the rest of coworkers, and on a different contract.

    ReplyDelete