Tuesday, June 26

Things I Like

I've been wanting to post for a long time, but have a hard time finding free time. A few months ago, Scott and I watched a BYUTV mini series called Fires of Faith. There are 3 episodes, each about 50 minutes long. They have life action portrayals of Tyndale, More, and the other reformers, plus a narrator, and several snippets of interviews with scholars in history, theology, literature, etc. I thought they were really well done. It made me think, and made me much more appreciative of the bible. We watched them online on the BYUTV website. They'd be a great thing to watch for FHE, especially for those of you with older kids. The burnings and beheadings would be a bit disturbing for younger kids.

I also have read some interesting books recently. A long time ago, our family doctor gave me a copy of The People Code by Dr. Taylor Hartman, (formally published as The Color Code) when I was talking to him about how different Mary's personality is from Scott and I, and the challenges we were having with her because of it. Anyway, I finally got around to reading it, and found it very interesting. I learned a lot about myself and the weaknesses I have that cause most of the challenges I have in my relationships. It was a bit hard to read because of that, but I was grateful for the new self awareness, and I do think it helped me to understand Mary, and Scott better. The premise is that each of us is born with one of four core motives, that drives our behaviors. I had originally thought that I was blue, and Mary was red, but found that I am actually red and Mary is yellow. So, it was really interesting. I'd love to talk to any of you who have read this.

And finally, Scott's parents gave us a book for Christmas called A Lamb and a Lion by Rand H. Packer, about a couple called on a mission to care for the Smith farm in Palmyra when the Church first obtained possession of it back in the 1915. They actually ended up serving there for 24 years, having and raising their family on the Smith farm. It was really interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lisa! I read the Color Code many years ago - I can't even remember what color I was then, and would hesitate to guess now. I remember spending some time trying to decide what color Christ would be - I eventually decided He would be a balance of all the colors - though it was only an opinion, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing about these things. The Fires of Faith series sounds very interesting. I haven't read much lately besides the Book of Mormon (which I enjoy a lot :) ), but I've been trying to read a book called Code To Joy, which seems to be about how seemingly small incidents in childhood can lead to odd hangups, and since I have a lot of odd issues, perhaps it will be helpful.

    Off topic, but one thing I have really been enjoying lately is the music of Duran Duran, especially the albums before and after Warren Curriculo. Nothing against him, but I don't really like their music from the time he became an official member (Liberty) until he was fired to make room for original guitarist Andy Taylor's return. Andy left again after Astronaut (replace by Dom Brown on guitar), but I've recently really been enjoying both Astronaut and their latest album, All You Need Is Now, and their first five albums from the 80's. I do think their first 2 albums, especially Rio, are really great, up there with the best albums of all time, or at least my favorites.

    ReplyDelete